The Babylon 5 Encyclopedia
• The most ambitious project in the 12-year history of Babylon 5 Books
• One creator, eleven experts and a span of eight years to complete
• Available in your choice of Online Multimedia Edition, 2-Volume Hardcover Color Edition or both in a money saving bundle.
5,000 entries from 160+ canonical sources
For the first time ever, the whole canon of Babylon 5 has been assembled into a single document. You will be shocked at how much you don't know about the Babylon 5 Universe.
Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski is hand-signing all copies of the print editions of the Babylon 5 Encyclopedia.
DETAILS ABOUT THE SIGNATURE
A special type of paper has been bound into the front of the book. Specifically the paper is a 68# heavy-weight (but still pliable), ebony paper stock.
We choose this particular paper stock because it looks especially cool in black. But more important is its durability: it is hard to tear or crease.
Straczynski is signing each book with a metallic silver Sharpie pen to contrast the black, and to match the silver on black cover design. Using a metallic Sharpie will also prevent the signature from flaking or cracking, preserving it indefinitely. Sharpie metallic ink pens are more like a quality "paint" and literally has to dry after signing.
LIST OF SOURCES
Episodes & Movies
• Babylon 5 Pilot The Gathering Original Version
• Babylon 5 Pilot The Gathering TNT Version
• All 110 episodes of Babylon 5
• All 13 episodes of Crusade
• Thirdspace TV Movie
• In the Beginning TV Movie
• The River of Souls TV Movie
• A Call to Arms TV Movie
• The Legend of the Rangers Pilot
• The Lost Tales
• The Shadow Within by Jeanne Cavelos
• To Dream in the City of Sorrows by Kathryn M. Drennan
• The Psi Corps Trilogy by J. Gregory Keyes
• The Legions of Fire Trilogy by Peter David
• The Passing of the Techno-mages Trilogy by Jeanne Cavelos
• Thirdspace Novelization by Peter David
• In The Beginning Novelization by Peter David
• A Call to Arms Novelization by Robert Sheckley
• "The Shadow of His Thoughts" by J. Michael Straczynski
• "Genius Loci" by J. Michael Straczynski
• "Space, Time, and the Incurable Romantic" by J. Michael Straczynski
• "Hidden Agendas" by J. Michael Straczynski
• "True Seeker" by Fiona Avery
• "The Nautilus Coil" by J. Gregory Keyes
• 11-issue DC Comics comic series
• 3-issue In Valen's Name comic series
• The Lost Tales comic
• Babylon 5 Scripts & Production Documents
• Crusade Scripts & Production Documents
• DVD featurettes from all 5 seasons
• Background details from the show
• J. Michael Straczynski's online posts
• Babylon 5 Magazine
• Dining on Babylon 5
• The Official Guide to J. Michael Straczynski's Babylon 5 (CD-ROM)
• Babylon 5 Collectible Card Game
BELOW: PREVIEW THE ENTIRE "G" CHAPTER FROM THE PRINT EDITION
B5 Encyclopedia - Preview - B5books_Com
ABOVE: PREVIEW THE ENTIRE "G" CHAPTER FROM THE PRINT EDITION
If you are having problem seeing the pdf, click here for the
Babylon 5 Encyclopedia Free 48 Page, Full Chapter Preview
THE PROCESS TO GET TO THESE 5,000 ENTRIES
Phase one: Build a concordance of the entries
A list of initial entries was devised by careful study of the as-broadcast teleplays (in consultation with the DVDs and, on some occasions, the broadcast versions) of all 110 Babylon 5 episodes, the five B5 TV Movies, the 13 produced episodes of Crusade (as well as the three scripts in pre-production at that time of Crusade's cancellation), The Legend of the Rangers and The Lost Tales.
Phase Two: Find Additional Entries and Details Through Supplemental Sources
The initial list was augmented after examining the novels, comics and short stories deemed canonical by JMS, as well as additional material produced by Babylon 5's producers (The Official Guide to J. Michael Straczynski's Babylon 5) and writing staff (Larry DiTillio's Alien Guide), and merchandise (Dining on Babylon 5, the Babylon 5 Collectible Card Game, the Official Babylon 5 Magazine) that was vetted by Babylonian's reference editor, Fiona Avery. Additionally, an editorial database of 104,892 screenshots was created from the DVDs for cross-referencing.
Phase Three: Fact Check, Fact Check, Fact Check
The fact check process for each entry begins by cross referencing all nouns against our standardized entries for those terms, sometimes referring back to the scripts, novels or other written sources as needed.
For example, "Anla-shok" is spelled no less than four different ways (Anla-shok, Anla-Shok, anla-shok, Anla'shok) in the scripts, so this step of the process catches typos and ensures that every noun in Babylon 5's massive universe is consistent throughout the Encyclopedia's equally massive text.
The second step of the fact check process involves verifying each described event against the DVDs, scripts, novels or other sources as needed. For example, the "Cole, Marcus" entry mentions that the Cole Mining company was nearly bankrupted by the Earth-Minbari War, which was verified on page 57 of the original Dell printing of the novel To Dream in the City of Sorrows
Phase Four: Approval from The Fan Council
A committee of hand-picked mega-fans known to the Babylon 5 community will review each entry for thoroughness.
INCLUDES DETAILS FROM DELETED SCENES
We call this extra-canonical data and it includes information from script drafts, cut footage and production documents. Here's one example –
The video above contributed to these two entries:
Keffer trained under Ray Galus at the academy and won Star Fighter status. He first saw action intercepting raiders outside the Orion Belt, and received top marks from every commander after earning his wings. On 2 April 2258, Keffer flew against raiders in defense of the Tunguska. Early in 2259, Galus gave Keffer 95–100% in every category of his quarterly performance analysis and recommended Keffer’s promotion to lieutenant.
A Human Earthforce Starfury pilot and member of Zeta Wing stationed aboard Babylon 5. In his first quarterly performance analysis of 2259, Commander Ray Galus stated that Rafelli was a decent pilot but had not demonstrated any leadership ability. It was recommended that Rafelli not be considered for promotion until he logged another 100 hours of flight time.
The Babylon 5 Encyclopedia contains every notable, canonical fact in the Babylon 5 universe.
DO ALL 5,000 ENTRIES HAVE AN IMAGE?
No, but only because not every entry has a visual representation. For example, a character only mentioned in dialogue or who appeared only in a novel or short story – such as G'Kar's daughter G'Ryka – does not have an image but does have an entry.
That said, most entries in the categories of aliens species, characters, locales, organizations, ships or technology have a visual representation. There are 1,474 images in the full-color print edition. The multimedia online edition has more than 2,000 images in addition to 1,000+ videos.
These photos and video are in addition to the images of the ships and planet we had re-rendered in 1080, high definition from the original files. Fans have never seen B5 like this before.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED BECAUSE IT IS NOT CONSIDERED CANONICAL?
Not Canonical: Dell Novels 1-6, 8:
In 2006, JMS wrote: "The first Dell books were not what they should have been because they tended to operate outside canon; so steps were taken to bring the Del Rey books into canon, working closely with the publisher, and the fans across the board agree that those novels were better than those which preceded them."
Not Canonical: RPG and table top games
Prior to Fiona Avery being hired as the Babylonian Productions Reference Editor, JMS had become increasingly concerned about inaccuracies creeping into the licensed gaming books due to the lack of a point person to oversee continuity. In May 1998, he wrote, "There are going to have to be some revisions in the game books to bring them into line with the overall story, and other licensees."
Not Canonical: The Mongoose Publications
No ambiguity here: In 2005, JMS stated "I have, subsequently, washed my hands of the Mongoose books. I haven't seen anything, don't know what they're doing, so sure as hell it ain't canonical."
WHAT ARE THE SPECS OF THE 2-VOLUME HARDCOVER COLOR EDITION?
Trim Size: 8 x 10 inches. These books are 8 pounds total (3.63 kilograms) and this was the best size to keep the weight evenly distributed for extended reading.
- 832 pages total
- Hand-signed by J. Michael Straczynski
- Premium 90gsm paper
- All pages full, four-color printing
- Custom Slipcase with foil stamping
- Two Ribbon Bookmarks: one purple, one green. The advantage of two is that you can mark were you left off reading and you can mark the last entry you cross-referenced.
- Same printing company that did such a great job with the Babylon 5 at 20 Coffee Table book.
WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES OF THE 2-VOLUME HARDCOVER COLOR EDITION?
• Hand signed by J. Michael Straczynski
• The pleasure of an actual book
• A welcome break from the screen
• A physical reminder of your Babylon 5 journey
• You can share it
• You can show it off in public or on your coffee table
• You can resell it
• You can easily highlight it and write in the margins (yikes!)
• Book smell
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE ONLINE MULTIMEDIA EDITION?
• Pay once, access forever
• Pinch and Zoom images
• Over 1,000 entries feature video related to the headword. These videos are in addition to the high definition CGI sequences fans have never seen before.
• Over time we will be adding all 110 production notebooks for each episode. Production notebooks catalog the behind-the-scene reports and documentation for every episode.
Over time we will also be including convention video from when the show was in production as well as tons of behind the scenes photos.
• Continually updated
• Portable, always have it with you via tablet, phone or connected computer
• All entries are that contain other headwords are hyperlinked that entry.
• No shipping charges
• Takes up less space/weighs nothing
• View entries alphabetically, by episode or by category (aliens, ships, etc)
• Exclusive B5 trivia, word search puzzles, crosswords
The multimedia edition is everything in the print edition , plus tons of bonus content. While the print edition is 100% canonical, the online online edition is canonical plus behind the scenes.
There is so much bonus, behind-the-scenes content it could take a couple years to get it all loaded in.
Here is the complete timeline for the multimedia, online edition.
ONLINE AND AVAILABLE NOW
- 5,000 Canonical Entries
- Including 758 Entries with Video
- And 163 Entries with Extra Canonical Data
- Actor Credits for Character Entries
- High definition images of 47+ ships
Phase 1 (First Week in November)
- All 5,000+ entry headwords hyperlinked in the content of related posts
- 293 more videos rounding out the major/semi-major characters
- Entries that are exclusively Extra Canonical Data
- Option to List entries by Episode and by Source (all entries from a particular novel, for example)
- Actors names hyperlinked to their IMDB profile
Phase 2 (By December 31st)
- Rare footage of early Babylon 5 conventions
- Browser notifications when we add content
(if we turn this one now you'll get beeped constantly as we update)
- Propmaster Dark Hoffman 200+ images
- Babylon 5 “Games” (word search, crosswords, etc)
- Production Notebooks for 10 episodes (two from each season plus two crusade)
- HD CGI clips of ships in motion
- Advanced Searching with operators
- Additional Video of Each Major and Semi-Major Character
- Additional Photos of Each Major and Semi-Major Character
Phase 3 (2018)
- Art Director John Iacovelli images
- Additional planet and ship recreated CGI never before-seen video
- 100+ Production Notebooks
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE ONLINE MULTIMEDIA EDITION AND AN EBOOK?
By definition, an eBook is a standalone document small enough to fit on an eReader or tablet that doesn't have to be online, except to initially download it.
The Online Multimedia Edition of the Babylon 5 Encyclopedia is an online database of nearly 5,000 entries that incorporates video, audio, images and documents mounted on a platform that far exceeds the memory and processing power any device a consumer would own.
DO I HAVE TO PAY A MONTHLY FEE OR UPGRADE FEE AT ANYTIME?
Absolutely not. Pay once, access the Online Multimedia Edition of the Babylon 5 Encyclopedia for a lifetime. The online edition is being hosted by Cablan.net which is owned by a Babylon 5 mega-fan. We have pre-paid the first 10 years of hosting.
HOW MANY DEVICES CAN I ACCESS THE ENCYCLOPEDIA FROM?
As many as you own. We monitor Internet IP addresses to make sure there isn't any password sharing. We don't limit the devices because we know so many fans have multiple tablets, smart phones and computers. For those who don't have fixed IPs or use public WiFi, know that one-off logins from different IP addresses in the same general area will NOT trigger. It's when you see Dubai, Denver and San Diego in the same day that will flag your account.
CAN I SHARE MY PASSWORD WITH MY KIDS / SPOUSE / SIGNIFICANT OTHER?
Yes. Your license is for a household and/or family (and we accept all definitions of the word "family").
WILL THE ZATHRI OF BABYLON 5 BOOKS BE MAINTAINING THE MULTIMEDIA DATABASE?
Yes. We think of the online edition as a living, evolving entity. Any future Babylon 5 material would be included. Pay once, get upgrades forever.
HOW WILL I KNOW WHEN THE ONLINE MULTIMEDIA EDITION HAS BEEN UPDATED?
We will let you know via email or push notifications.
WHAT'S YOUR INCENTIVE TO KEEP THE ONLINE MULTIMEDIA EDITION UPDATED IF I ONLY PAY ONCE?
Our raison d'etre is to archive one of the greatest shows in television history and evolve that archive at every opportunity. We are a business, but we think of ourselves as historians as well. Nothing thrills historians more than sharing a new find. And we are finding stuff all the time.
CAN I DOWNLOAD THE ONLINE MULTIMEDIA EDITION?
Yes and no. It is meant to be consumed online. Technically, you can take a screenshot of each page for personal use offline, but with one entry per "page" that would take forever. This is in part why we are offering the 2-Volume Hardcover Color Edition as well, for those moments you don't want to be in front of a screen and want a more traditional reading experience. Think of the 2-volume set as your "downloaded" version.
WHERE DO I ACCESS THE ONLINE MULTIMEDIA EDITION?
Via a password-protected website. This is a browser-based multimedia platform that can be accessed by any computer, tablet or phone and will be properly formatted for that device.
ONLINE ACCESS GUARANTEED FOREVER
When we first launched a few fans expressed concern about the multimedia edition disappearing one day. We now have a solution so that doesn't happen.
First we have pre-paid 10 years of hosting at Cablan.net. All Babylon 5 books team members (most of whom are under 42) have the passwords and daily backups at the ready. These Zathri have permission to give folks who ordered, access to the files and/or put them back online if the site should go offline for any reason.
Frankly we can't think of a scenario where this would/could happen for the online, multimedia edition of the Babylon 5 Encyclopedia, but, frankly, we've had it happen to us, so we are happy to provide peace of mind.
WHEN WILL THE BOOKS BE SHIPPED, AND WHEN DO I GET ACCESS TO THE ONLINE MULTIMEDIA EDITION?
The Online Multimedia Edition of the Babylon 5 Encyclopedia is online and available now.
The 2-Volume color, hardcover edition is being printed as you read this. The ship date will occur in December/January instead of November 2017, as we hoped.
The delay is caused by the addition of the free upgrades (J. Michael Straczynski signature, custom slipcase, double bookmarks) had one downside: an extended production timeframe. For example they can't make the custom slipcases until they have finished printing the books.
We are using the same company as the Babylon 5 coffee table book and they are perfectionists. That's the good news.
As soon as we have a ship date we will email you. We are so excited for you to hold your Babylon 5 Encyclopedia in your hands and want that to happen as soon as possible.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER I PLACE MY ORDER?
1) You will get a receipt from PayPal that will be your order confirmation. If you would like a secondary confirmation, just forward us your PayPal receipt and we will respond double confirming your order.
2) Your login for the online edition will be sent in 24 hours or less of purchase. For security purposes we are manually adding each member to the online edition. We process memberships 7 days a week and will send you an email with your username and password already generated to save you time.
We also love hearing from you so email us anytime for a personal update at email@example.com and you will get a response from one of the team, usually Captain Jaclyn, Lt. Brandon or Lt. Jan all of whom are online more than most people..
HOW ARE YOU SHIPPING THE PHYSICAL BOOKS?
Domestic orders will be shipped priority mail, 1 to 3-day service. International orders, including Canada, will be sent via international mail.
I LIVE ABROAD. WILL I HAVE TO PAY VAT ON THE BOOKS?
Probably not. Most countries do not levy VAT or Customs Fees on books. Our shipments are clearly labeled books. There is no VAT for Lifetime Access to the Online Multimedia Edition of the Babylon 5 Encyclopedia. (If you prefer, we can declare the shipment as a gift with a lower customs value. Just let us know.)
WHAT IS YOUR REFUND POLICY FOR THE ONLINE MULTIMEDIA EDITION?
Spend as much time as you like exploring the Online Multimedia Edition of the Babylon 5 Encyclopedia. If it doesn't meet your expectations, email us at help@b5books and we will refund 100% of what you paid.
IS THERE A PRICE BREAK IF I GET BOTH THE ONLINE EDITION AND THE PRINT EDITION?
Yes. That package has a big discount and a monthly payment option of only $27.
HOW DID YOU ARRIVE AT THE PRICES FOR THE ONLINE MULTIMEDIA EDITION AND THE COMPANION 2-VOLUME HARDCOVER COLOR EDITION?
We price based what it costs to make the product. We have two major groups of expenses. (1) The physical book (2) Creating the book itself.
The printed Babylon 5 Encyclopedia is TWO volumes, a total of 800+ full color pages printed on premium stock. We have just upgraded the books to include a custom slipcase and ribbon bookmarks 100% at OUR our expense, meaning we did not raise the price, even when J. Michael Straczynski announced that he was personally signing each set.
Couple this with creating the Encyclopedia. Over EIGHT YEARS the Babylon 5 Books team has been compiling the list of entries, researching and writing, fact-checking, photo editing, video editing, audio editing, handling design and layout, typography, proof-reading and database programming (huge!). Bottom line: Humans are expensive.
While B5 Books is not a non-profit we are fan-centric. This is why prices are set after we consider the costs and the quantity we expect to sell. We then find the lowest workable price point.
What's fascinating is that the 2016 Edition of the Star Trek encyclopedia which is basically the same number of pages and entries is $150. The Babylon 5 encyclopedia is only $14 more and it includes higher quality paper, ribbon bookmarks and is hand-signed by the Babylon 5's creator. We are really proud of how low we were able to get the price.
To keep our products as affordable as possible, we offer 4-payment and 8-payment plans (with no credit check, no fees, no interest and no service charges), to be considerate of all budget ranges.
WE HAD A CHOICE:
SPIT OUT A CHEAPER, MEDIOCRE PRODUCT AT HALF THE PRICE,
OR CHARGE WHAT IT TAKES TO DO IT RIGHT, AND BLOW FANS AWAY.
Our love of Babylon 5 drives every choice we make.
I'M NEW TO BABYLON 5 BOOKS. WHO ARE YOU?
We've been publishing books exclusively about Babylon 5 since October, 2005. We began with the 15-volume series "Babylon 5: Scripts of J. Michael Straczynski." We have released 50-plus titles in total over the past 12 years all either in partnership with JMS or with his approval and authorization. To see the complete Babylon 5 Books catalog, click here (note: most titles are out of print.)
WHAT IF I DON'T LIKE IT?
You get back 100% of what you paid – including shipping costs if you ordered the printed books, even for international orders. We also pay return shipping fees as well. Just email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your order number.
HOW CAN YOU HAVE SUCH CUSTOMER-FRIENDLY POLICIES?
Simple. We have a near-zero return rate because fans love our products. Remember: we work withBabylon 5 creator J. Michael Stracyznski, and we stand for everything he represents.
WHAT'S THE ADVANTAGE OF PRE-ORDERING?
We only discount books during the pre-order phase. Once we rollout the retail price, that is the price for forever. The they will never be discounted again. That's the advantage.
In this case we have upgraded the Babylon 5 Encyclopedia three times (adding the Straczynski signature, including bookmarks and a slipcase with printing on 90gms paper) without increasing the price.
WHEN DO I PAY FOR SHIPPING?
When your set is ready to ship. We will send you an email from us with a link to pay the postage and give us your preferred shipping address.
WHY WAIT TO PAY FOR SHIPPING?
Our printer can't give us an exact weight until the books are printed. We charge you the actual postage (no mark-up or handling fees), and we don't want to risk over-stating the shipping charges.
HOW MUCH WILL I PAY FOR SHIPPING?
We estimate the following shipping amounts:
- Shipping on US orders will be approximately $20 or less.
- Shipping on Canada orders will be approximately $50.
- Shipping on Worldwide orders will be approximately $80 due to the weight and size of two premium hardcover books. We do NOT markup shipping costs.
- Online Multimedia Edition Available Now
- 2-Volume Hardcover Color Signature Edition shipping December/January
- Get Both in a Money Saving Bundle
Pre-order Discount: $112
| $112 - 1-pay |
access in 24 hours or less
$28 - 4-pay
no interest or fees
access after 2nd payment
Best Deal Bundle
$216 - 1-pay
$54 - 4-pay
$27 - 8-pay
Cast Reunions Blu-ray & DVD with Autographed Book
CNN Documents Babylon 5
B5 Fan Convention Experience
Babylon 5 Encyclopedia